Saturday, September 11, 2010

Saucer-Sippin'

For some of us the imagery of old men drinking coffee from saucers is just a real as yesterday. For others who wonder why saucers and silly looking cups come with sets of dishes, the imagery is lost.


In days of drive thru Latte shops and internet cafes the whole business of drinking from saucers has no meanings. For those of you who want to know, coffee was made differently back then, it was boiled. It was hot. And if you had enough to go around, the cup was poured to overflowing with the overflow captured in the saucer where it cooled and was sipped. Al least that is the way it was done back home.


Last night I was reminded of the old Jimmy Dean song (yea, the sausage dude) based upon this imagery. I was reminded that I have been saucer-sippin’ for some time now. I thank God and all of the people He has sent into my life for that blessing.


Wayne


DRINKING FROM MY SAUCER aka MY CUP RUNNETH OVER; DRINK FROM THE SAUCER

Jimmy Dean



I never made a fortune and it's probably too late now

But I don't worry about that much, I'm happy anyhow

And as I go along life's journey, I'm reaping better than I sowed

I'm drinking from my saucer, cause my cup has overflowed.


I ain't got a lot of riches, and sometimes the goings tough

but I've got kids who love me and that makes me rich enough

I just thank God for his blessings and the mercies he's bestowed.

I'm drinking from my saucer, cause my cup has overflowed.


I remember times when things went wrong, and my faith got a little thin

but then all at once the dark clouds broke, and the sun peeked through again

so Lord help me not to gripe about the tough rows I hoed

I'm drinking from my saucer, cause my cup has overflowed.


And if God gives me strength and courage, when the way grows steep and rough

I'll not ask for another blessing, I'm already blessed enough

And may I never be too busy to help another bear his load

I'll keep drinking from my saucer, cause my cup has overflowed.


No comments:

Post a Comment