Thursday, September 8, 2011

Now In My Heart, Soon In My Life

There are three children whom I have never met, but whom I love. It seems strange that it can actually be true, but it is. I look at their picture several times a day. I pray for them and their smooth transition often. I imagine getting to know them and earning their trust, perhaps their love and, should I dare say their admiration?

But is it possible to love them without having seen them or hold them? Is it possible to be willing to devote my time, resources and heart to children I've never even met? They are after all, only one picture removed from make-believe.

I realized the other day, while I was wrinkling my forehead over something to do with an acquaintance (a real person I can touch and feel) that If I say I love God yet at the same time do not love my brother standing right in front of me, I'm at least confused. It is not possible to love God (whom I can't see) if I do not love my brother (whom I CAN see).

I guess that I really need to clear up my "heart condition" over all these other people if I really want to be able to love these children, don't I? Have you ever been in this predicament?

No comments:

Post a Comment