Wednesday, September 28, 2011

About the time I think I've accomplished something...

I was teaching class this evening. Sometimes I struggle, but tonight I was really "on" - at least that is what I thought. I asked a question to confirm that the students had "gotten it" but only received blank stares and silence in response.

Thinking that I was merely confronting students' reluctance to answer incorrectly, I waited. The uncomfortable silence usually jars a comment or two from people feeling the mounting pressure of silence, but nothing. Finally one of the students offered up: "I don't have any idea what you are talking about."

Not only was I not on, I wasn't even sputtering. I was not communicating anything usable. It would be nice to think the students were at fault. That would remove any responsibility I might have to improve, but it had to be me.

Humility is a powerful tool that shouldn't be wasted. I'll try to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment