Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Grandchildren, Camping and God

A Walk at Big South Fork
Several months ago Cindy and I decided to get another travel trailer. Although we have camped in tents off of motorcycles as well as travel trailers and motorhomes, we were back to tents and motorcycles. They can be fun and exciting, but travel trailers, motels and the like make it much easier to have our young grandchildren come along with us.

Earlier this year we had such a trip and found more joy watching a grandson enjoy the trip than we might have experienced if we had just taken off on our own. It is funny how that works out, isn’t it? Planning our lives around the best interests of others doesn’t sound fulfilling, but it does work out that way.

I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised. Jesus said that was what God has planned for those led by Him. Remember the business about the “Greatest Commandment” in Matthew 22, Mark 12, and Luke 10? You know that business about “my life should be all about God and all about others,” that’s the part I’m writing about.

Not only does that mindset focus on others, it actually brings me fulfillment and the joy and peace that comes with it. I know it doesn’t seem like it would, but it does. I suppose that is why it is described as “peace that passeth understanding.”

How often have I cheated myself out of that peace and joy because I was trying to find it  using my own chosen path? Not smart... Not successful... Not His way, the only way it actually works.

No comments:

Post a Comment