Monday, September 12, 2011

The Greatest Single Cause of Atheism is... Me?

Brennan Manning wrote:
"The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips then walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."
Wow, how profound! With this I agree in principle. You folks really need to step it up and get in line! You've got to get serious about this self-denial and following Jesus business!

Wait, me... what about me? Well, nobody is perfect. Sometimes I miss the target, but nobody gets it right all the time, now do they. I'm just as good as... OK, you're right.

The reality is that often when you and I pass over evidence that we are still human we are defending "lifestyle" not just getting caught up in the moment like Peter at Jesus' trial. My lifestyle, who I like to be. That is the foundation of Manning's statement. My chosen lifestyle, not my momentary humanity is what testifies to the world that God exists and I really, really trust Him.

I grade out better if I choose the moments that testify about my spiritual maturity. Manning (and God?) look at my lifestyle! I don't grade out so well there. I need to step it up. I need to get serious about self-denial. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment