Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Good Samaritan in a whole new light!

Snapped in Buchenwald camp, this deadly photograph was published in the May edition of TIME magazine in 1945, with the description: “Dead men will have indeed died in vain if live men refuse to look at them.”

The picture at the right is disturbing, very disturbing. Initially I was disturbed by the pile of bodies. Then I saw the reaction of those walking by refusing to look, or perhaps not wanting to see.

How insensitive! How callous! How so very much like me! Looking into the faces of the dead and dying is taxing. It is impossible to do so and not be changed, emotionally depleted and driven to our knees. It is easier to go about my business if I try not to see.

The problem is that Jesus expects me to see. More than that He wants me to get close enough to be involved with those dead and dying, physically, emotionally and spiritually. I understand those walking past the "pile" in the picture.

The reason I don't like it is that it reminds me of myself. I don't like that view of myself.I must move beyond my self and become like Jesus.

Lord, create in me a new clean heart, a heart of a servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment