Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What would I do?

This morning, or perhaps it was yesterday morning, the news reported that a local man, while beating a dog was challenged by a woman from a nearby business. He then (according to the woman) pulled a pistol and fired into the air, escaping.

I begin by stating clearly that I support gun ownership. That said, I suspect that the man mentioned in the story probably doesn't have a Tennessee Carry Permit. Now... on to the real issue.

Would I respond to assist another being badly and inhumanly treated (even an animal) if I suspected I might also be placed in danger? I like to think I would, but until that moment came...

I'm not certain about the answer in the case of an animal, but it seems that Jesus made it pretty clear that we are to respond to the needs of others even if we are also placed in jeopardy. That answer is the easy one.

The tough one is: Would I do it? I guess that is where others would see if my trust in God was a "saving faith" or if it is just something I talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment