Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What's important to me is never far below the surface.

Sitting at the hospital yesterday waiting for news on a successful surgical procedure involving a friend, I noticed that most conversation around me seemed important to those having it. I was engaged and busily chatting about significant (?) topics and observations.

Every call from the surgical suites attracted attention and response. When we received our call telling us that all was well we couldn't remember what had been so important moments before. We took turns crying, hugging, saying "thank you Jesus." We had been distracted, but never unfocused. That which was important to me was always central, even if it wasn't obvious to those watching.

I suppose we are like that in the rest of life as well. If serving God and others (see Jesus' comments on the core principles of God's expectations) is what drives my interests and thoughts then my focus never leaves them, I miss few opportunities when they intersect my life.

The "Good Samaritan" was such a man while the other characters in the account were driven by some other priority. If my priority is something else, I may chat and muddle around that which looks religious, but when the "call" comes I'll not remember the religious talk or activity.

What I look like or talk about doesn't really tell my story does it? Watch what I gravitate toward, what seems to always get my attention when everything else if going on. That may tell you... more importantly tell me what I really consider important.

No comments:

Post a Comment