Saturday, September 10, 2011

My "Truth" vs "Truth"

I spent the day yesterday watching and hearing the sights and sounds of 9-11-2001. I wanted to remember that day, not so much the events but the emotions I experienced. What a dark day!

As I rolled around the Internet I was also surprised by the presence of those digitally shouting that the events were a ruse, perpetrated by Americans themselves. I'll not go into the reasons I reject that conclusion, but it certainly reminded me how easily we are distracted or derailed from truth.

Peter referred to those "who have tasted" the blessing of God and later decided to discard it as impotent or insignificant in the face of their present trials. Paul mentioned in Romans 6 "or have you forgotten" when reminding them that faith followers can't choose to deliberately ignore and disappoint God.

I suspect that Peter's and Paul's audiences had convinced themselves because they wanted to reach their errant conclusions. I would not be surprised to find an already established dis-trust of the United States government in those suggesting Americans themselves perpetrated the tragedies ten years ago Sunday.

But before I shake my fist at those and say in disdain, "Shame, Shame, Shame!" I must remember that I, also, have convinced myself (on more than one occasion) that something was truth, mainly because I wanted to think it was. That confession is not very flattering, but it is truth.

I'm not through re-living 9-11 yet, but I hope I am through trying to shape "truth" to meet my own agenda. I'd rather be "more noble" like those folks Paul encounter from Berea.

No comments:

Post a Comment