Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Swing, Batta, Batta, Batta, Swing!

As a child I played baseball. As a younger father I coached baseball. I understood baseball and enjoyed baseball. My boys played baseball, but I think they preferred football.

In baseball youngsters would try to "rattle"the batter from the opposing team with chatter, hoping to mess up his timing on his swing of the bat. In football I have seen linemen charged with "motion" or "neutral zone infraction" because an adept quarterback altered his snap count.

Timing is important! Too slow and I miss my opportunity, too soon/fast and I negate my effectiveness. Timing seems to rank with other things like skill, technique, planning, and so on. Is it possible that speaking kind, encouraging, and comforting words may be powerful at the right "time," yet unheard or unneeded at the wrong time?

With a baseball bat I can't begin to swing at the right time if I'm not paying attention to the ball. In football a player can't react at the right time if he is not listening for the "time" to go. In "bearing one another's burdens" I can't really help out if I'm not watching out for the pain and struggles of other people.

Being available for the "Greatest Commandments" requires more than the ability to recite them. It demands my availability and my constant attention to others. There doesn't seem to be much time for the cultural priority: "me time."

I will be well served to leave that to the Master (Matthew 6:33). His timing is always spot on.

No comments:

Post a Comment