Friday, October 7, 2011

Yard Sales, People and Prayer

Yard sales are terrible, wonderful things. I pass useful, but no longer used items along for someone else to have. Clearing clutter from underfoot  without topping off a landfill gives me a sense of green-ness. Green, as in eco-friendly and as in cash.

I awakened early that day with a conviction that some things had to go. They were specific, certain things and they had to go. Besides that, my princess needed a little more cash to comfortably guide her brother and wife around Tennessee and Western North Carolina in the coming week.

I began after Cindy left for work. She didn't know I was having a yard sale. She didn't have to know. None of her stuff was on my have-to-go list. These were my cluttering accumulations.

I am ashamed to mention how much cash I brought in for her. It's not that I am not grateful for God's blessing in this (and He certainly did bless). It is that you might rightfully ask why I had so much stuff available. Why had I not cleared the clutter before the list became so long? My friends had wondered that for some time.

During the day, folks from our little town drove by. Many stopped to look, ask and buy. Others stopped because that is what we do here; we stop, act interested and visit. We visit a lot here. It is nice to visit. Catching up with friends and acquaintances takes time. We must not rush or it will not get done.

As we visited, we would sidetrack while the rest of the world forged ahead on the main track. We talked of hopes and fears. We told of victories and failures. We laughed. We cried. We prayed. It was not like church praying; it was more like crying and asking for help. Once it just poured out. It wasn't there and then it was.

I should have yard sales more often. They are not only eco-friendly; they can be spirit-friendly. If they are spirit-friendly they are not about the stuff. They are about the people. If they are about the people they are not rushed. People take time.

Since people are worth God's time, they are worth every minute of mine. Yard sales are a pleasant way to take care of people.

1 comment:

  1. In life, it is the small things that matter!

    ReplyDelete